New Rules on Foreigners Work in Egypt
The Ministry of Manpower on foreigners work in Egypt issued Decree no. 146/2019 providing for new rules on foreigners working in Egypt. The new decree states that foreigners may work in Egypt, only if:
- The foreigner is legally authorized to stay in Egypt for the purpose of work; and
- Has a work permit obtained from the Ministry of Manpower or its affiliated offices.
Here we will discuss foreigners work permit in detail covering the below points:
- Annulment Cases.
- Foreigner must have a minimum of 3-year experience;
- The work permit is obtained in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations;
- Non-competition between the country’s need for foreign expertise and national labor force;
- Employer’s actual need for foreign employees;
- Employer hiring foreign technical workers must assign at least two Egyptians to work as their assistants;
- Foreigner work permit renewal is conditioned on training Egyptian workers and preparing reports on their performance; and
- Preference is made to foreigners born and permanently residing in Egypt.
- Must notify the relevant authority in case of employing foreigners exempted from obtaining a work permit within seven days from the beginning of such employment and upon its termination;
- Must keep a register that contains all information regarding its foreign workers;
- Must provide the relevant authority during the first week of January and July of each year, a statement including foreign workers names; and
- Total number of foreign manpower in the company must not exceed 10% of Egyptian manpower employed and insured by the company.
- Foreigners who work for one day or few days only are obliged to pay a fee estimated at 10% of their wages (not less than eight thousand pounds and not exceeding fifty thousand pounds as provided by the law); and
- Foreign worker must obtain a work permit from the home country if such permit is required in accordance with the laws and regulations of their home country.
Foreigners Exempted from Obtaining a Work Permit are:
- Foreigners exempted according to International Conventions, where Egypt is a party.
- Foreign employees working in embassies as a result of relevant authority decisions in their countries.
- Foreign correspondents.
- Foreign clerics.
- Foreign workers on Egyptian ships outside the territorial waters.
- Foreign workers in The Commonwealth International War Graves Commission.
- Foreign experts working in architectural research and ancient Egyptian monuments.
- Foreign investors who have obtained “the establishment of an investor” in accordance with relevant provisions of investment law.
- In case of a judgment being rendered against the foreigner in a felony or misdemeanor that is in contravention with honor, honesty or public morals;
- If the foreigner is proved to have obtained the permit based on incorrect data;
- If the permit is used in a profession that is not related to the profession for which they have sought the permit; and
- Rejection of Security Authorities due to reasons affecting the country’s economic or social interests.
The work permits are valid for one year or less, after payment of the fee. The reduction of such fees may be applied in some cases where reasonable justification is provided.